Buckeye balls are such a fun treat that the whole family will enjoy. It’s a great activity to keep kids busy and entertained, and you can give them the task while you need to get some things done.
Our favorite way to make buckeye balls is with our Soft & Chewy Protein Bar Mix. This way you are getting in great protein and nutrients while also having a treat!
What you need to make Buckeye Balls
- 1 package of Better Option Foods Soft & Chewy Protein Bar Mix
- ½ cup nut butter of choice
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup of melting chocolate
How to make Buckeye Balls
- Prepare the Soft & Chewy Protein Bar Mix per instructions on the package, minus pouring the mixture into a baking dish
- Scoop out mixture with ½ tablespoon
- Roll into 1” balls
- Press a toothpick into the top of each ball
- Place on a wax papered cookie sheet or dish that will fit in your freezer
- Chill in freezer for about 30 minutes or until firm
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave in bowl at medium power for one to two minutes)
- Stir chocolate until smooth and completely melted
- Dip the Soft & Chewy Balls in the chocolate while holding on to the toothpick (leave a small portion the peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like a buckeye)
- Put the Buckeye Balls back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve
That’s it. This snack is a really fun and easy way to get the kids involved. It will keep them busy for a long time! Projects like these make the kids so excited and they get a special treat after that they helped make.
Below we answer some of the most commonly asked questions about Buckeye Balls.
Frequently Asked Questions – Buckeye Balls
How far ahead can I make buckeye balls before serving?
You can make these up to 4 days before serving if you store them in an air tight container.
How long do these last?
If they last longer than a day or two before you eat them all…you can keep these for a few weeks or longer stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Can I add any extra toppings?
Yes, that’s a great idea. You can roll them in more hemp seeds, natural sprinkles, or even add some edible googly eyes for a fun Halloween treat!
What kind of chocolate can I use?
You can use any chocolate that you like. We love to use semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate melting chocolate. Feel free to use dark chocolate, or even white chocolate! Butterscotch would be another really tasty option as well.